Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The scowling of America

From Taegan Goddard's Political Wire:
Poll Finds Voters Have Given Up on Bush

A new Democracy Corps poll shows the country has "lost confidence in President Bush's leadership, direction and plans for the country, and seems to have closed down on him and his conservative project. His job approval continues downward, and 45 percent of voters say they are 'finished with him.' This is a moment when Democrats can get heard on their plans and their direction for the country, as voters are focused not just on Katrina, but even more on Iraq, the deficits, gas prices, and the economy." [emph added]
Which reminded me of this encounter between Al Franken* and former First Lady Barbara Bush:
I'll bet Dana [Carvey] misses my husband," she said with a wry smile.

"Yes, but I'm sure he's working on your son," I responded jauntily.

Her smile disappeared. "Well, I don't know of any characteristics that he has that anyone could possibly make fun of."

As it so happens, I had found a small Dubya quirk and decided it might be fun to show it to his mother.

/snip/ [Note: This does not go over well. -- Grace]

A scowl flashed across her face. And, dismissing me with an imperious wave of her hand, she issued a stern "Well, I'm through with you!"
See, it's just like that. With an imperious wave of our hands, 45% of American voters are issuing a stern "Well, we're through with you!" and dismissing Dubya.

*From Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them, page 337.

No comments: