Thursday, January 28, 2010

No country for old progressives

Finally back among the living. On top of Scott Brown’s election and the legislatively jammed up HCR bill, news of Obama’s suggested spending freeze just pushed me over the edge. So I went to bed and slept for 18 hours straight.

Maybe I’m taking things too personally. Or maybe I’m dangerously close to maximal exasperation. I’ve been politically active for four decades now -- since before I was even old enough to vote -- and nothing I’ve done has ever stopped a war before it began; ended a war before the powerful chose to end it; significantly decreased racism, sexism, disease, poverty, and hunger anywhere on the planet; or otherwise generally tamped down the levels of willful ignorance and evil.

But things look different after 18 hours of sleep, two cups of coffee, a short Three Stooges video, and a quick re-think of the (admittedly minor) things I’ve accomplished in life.

Okay, once more unto the legislative breach, dear friends, once more….

1 comment:

DPirate said...

That's the spirit. Expect nothing, demand everything.