Thursday, June 23, 2005

Telling time

As the lone non-Republican, non-conservative, non-dittohead, non-wingnut in my family, I have spent decades at birthday parties, Christmas celebrations, high school graduations, even funerals surrounded by howling and wildly gesticulating relatives (whom for some reason I still love). At some point, I stopped debating. Really, what is the point trying to discuss critical issues with people whose "facts" come from Rush and O'Reilly and Hannity and Savage and Coulter and NewsMax and WorldNetDaily.

So I just stopped. Now when challenged I just smile a knowing half-smile and say, "Time will tell."

There's really no arguing with that.

And time is starting to tell in Iraq. And my chickenhawk relatives won't even look me in the eye.

This year, I'm actually looking forward to the Fourth of July barbecue. But I'm still going to sit at the kiddie table -- they have better manners.

No comments: