Thursday, March 26, 2009

Things I just learned I didn't know

Dopey is the only one of Snow White’s dwarfs without a beard. I had to look that up in order to finish yesterday’s NYT crossword puzzle. All the minutiae I’ve struggled to learn -- Latin, Spanish, French, and German expressions, calculus using Roman numerals, international currencies, river boundaries, Elfish -- in order to puzzle proficiently and Dopey trips me up.

Interestingly, among potential dwarf names that were rejected by Disney were Shifty, Awful, Chesty, Dirty, Goopy, Hoppy, Neurtsy, Sniffy, Strutty, Titsy, and Tubby, as well as Tipsy, Burpy, Cranky, Scrappy, Sleazy, Jumpy, Dizzy, Weepy, and Tearful.

Just in case this info’s needed for a future puzzle, these are the names of the Seven Duffs working at the Duff Gardens Theme Park in The Simpsons: Tipsy, Queasy, Surly, Sleazy, Edgy, Dizzy, and Remorseful.

1 comment:

Sator Arepo said...

I've always been a fan of "Coughy".